The Canterbury Hockey summer competition is a fun, social competition for all age groups, running for 6 weeks before Christmas and 6 weeks after Christmas (as separate competitions).
2023 Post-Christmas Summer Hockey Competitions
REGISTERATIONS for the 2023 Post-Xmas Summer Hockey Competitions will open in January 2023
Post-Xmas Summer Hockey Mixed 6-a-side will start 14th February and end 21st March.
Pre-Xmas Summer Hockey Mixed 11-a-side will start 10th February and end 17th March.
As per previous seasons, the grades are as follows:
- Junior years 3/4 - Approx 4.00pm - 5.00pm
- Junior years 5/6 - Approx 4.00pm - 5.30pm
- Intermediate years 7/8 - Approx 4.30pm - 5.30pm
- Secondary school years 9-13 - Approx 5.00pm - 6.00pm
- Adult Novice (1-2 'Hockey' players in your team) - Approx 6.00pm - 8.30pm
- Adult Intermediate (3-4 players) - Approx 6.00pm - 8.30pm
- Adult Experienced (5+ players or 3+ players in Division 2 or above in club/school hockey). - Approx 6.00pm - 8.30pm
The grades will be played across Monday and Tuesday afternoons/evenings and will go ahead subject to entry numbers. You can select your playing day and location when registering.
THE GAME - 6-A-SIDE
- 6 weeks of competition games
- 6-a-side on half fields (quarter for juniors)
- 12 minute halves
- Teams are encouraged to be mixed gender
- Players do not have to belong to a club.
The adult league is split into 3 different divisions:
Adult Novice - No more than 3 regular hockey players
Adult Intermediate - 3 or more regular hockey players
Adult Experienced - 3 or more players that play Winter Division 2 or above.
- Usual hockey rules set the basis of play
- Six players on the field at a time
- No Hitting – Only Sweeps, slaps and pushes are permitted
- No lifted balls
- No Penalty corners in any grades
- Goal keepers allowed but not essential
- Play continues if the ball hits the black pipes
- Long corners are played from approximately half way
- All goals must cross the goal line and be backboard height or below
Cancellations, if needed, will be advised as early as possible and will be notified on the first instance on Facebook and via email if possible.
- Junior grades - year 3-4 and year 5-6 - $150 per team
- Intermediate grades - year 7-8 and year 9-13 - $210 per team
- Adult grades - Novice, Intermediate and Advanced - $290 per team.
FRIDAY NIGHT MIXED - 11-A-SIDE
Canterbury Hockey also runs the Friday night mixed 11-a-side competition. All Mixed 11-a-side matches are played at Nunweek Park
- Games will be played on Friday evenings at Nunweek Park
- Games are 25 minute halves
- Teams must be mixed gender with at least 4 people from each gender on the field at all times
- Players do not have to belong to a club but must be secondary school aged or older
- Match fees are $105 per match
When registering team, managers will need to pay their first $105 match fee online at the time of entry. The remainder of match fees will be invoiced once the draw is complete.