The 2020 season will bring about some changes in the representative space as outlined by the Hockey NZ Strategic Delivery Review. Canterbury Hockey, along with other associations, are working on planning how this may look in 2020 on onwards.
In 2020 Canterbury Hockey will be entering representative teams into the following tournaments that have already been confirmed by HNZ:
- National Hockey Championship - this replaces the regional-based National Hockey League, and becomes association based. We will be entering four teams (Cats, Cavaliers, Barracudas and Beavers)
- National U18 Association Tournaments - in the past Canterbury has sent men's and women's teams to Regional and Association tournaments, In 2020 both the men's and women's U18 tournaments revert to association based teams. We will be entering four teams (Men's A/B and Women's A/B))
- U15 Boys/Girls Tournaments - as in past years we will be sending our U15A teams to the U15 Premier Tournament and our U15B teams to the U15 Championship Tournaments.
- U13 Boys/Girls Tournaments - Hatch Cup and Collier Trophy continue in 2020 and we will be sending teams to these tournaments. Our B teams will again travel to Mcgrath Tournament.
In our continuing drive to achieve and maintain excellence our representative coaches and managers are crucial to the performances of our teams.
The coach and manager appointment process for our NHL, Senior, U18 and U15 teams' takes place from January to March, while applications for U13 coaches and managers occurs in April.
2020 Rep Coaching Positions - applications open!
2019 was yet again another successful season for our representative teams and we are extremely proud to offer one of the best representative programmes in the country. In 2020 the head coach positions for the Canterbury Cavaliers, U18A Men and U18A Women teams will roll-over as per the individual contracts. Canterbury Hocke is seeking applications for head coaches and assistant coaches for the following 2020 representative teams:
- Canterbury Cats
- Senior Men
- Senior Women
- U18B Men
- U18B Women
- U15A Boys
- U15A Girls
- U15B Boys
- U15B Girls
- U13A Boys
- U13A Girls
- U13B Boys
- U13B Girls
If you are passionate and enthusiastic about developing players in the representative space, we would love to hear from you. Click here for more information.
If you are interested in becoming a representative coach or manager, please contact Chris Leslie, High Performance Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org
Canterbury Hockey, along with High Performance Sport New Zealand (HPSNZ), want to ensure that players who are U18 and selected into our representative teams do not have an excess workload placed on them over the period of their representative campaign.
U18 Representative Trials - registrations open
Registrations for the 2020 Canterbury U18 trials are now open.
Players being considered must be under the age of 18 as at 1 January 2020 AND must also be 15 or over as at 1 January 2020. They must also be registered participants of Canterbury Hockey, or are eligible for Canterbury through Hockey NZ's National U18 rules.
Monday 27 April: 9am - 5pm, Nga Puna Wai
Thursday 30 April: 4.30pm - 9pm, Nga Puna Wail
Players wishing to trial and who are successful must be available to attend their respective National Tournament:
- Vantage National U18 Men's Tournament:Sunday 5 July - Saturday 11 July, Hamilton
- Vantage National U18 Women's Tournament: Sunday 5 July - Saturday 11 July, Wellington
Every year Lincoln University, in conjunction with Canterbury Hockey and Hockey Academy South, offers a select group of students the opportunity to gain a world-class academic qualification and develop their sporting ability at the same time. Click here to learn more.
For further information on our representative programme please contact Kate Trolove, Marketing & Representative Manager - email@example.com