Canterbury Hockey 2021 Representative Changes
2021 Hockey NZ Domestic Tournaments – Dates and Venues
For a full breakdown of Hockey New Zealand’s competitions, please click here
Hockey New Zealand have removed the national U13, U15, and U21 representative tournaments, and Associations throughout the country have been recommended to modify and enhance their development programmes to better suit the needs of the athletes.
Hockey New Zealand have changed their national competition offerings for U18 and senior representative hockey teams, by removing regional teams and offering Association based tournaments. In 2021, there will be a under 18 Association based national tournament in July and a senior National Hockey Championship in September.
How will Canterbury Hockey provide development opportunities to junior and youth athletes to replace previous under 13 and 15 representative programmes?
Canterbury Hockey is continuing to work on detailed plans for under 13 and 15 development opportunities and have the below plans in place:
- The U13 development programmes will be an open invite for year 7 and 8 athletes and will be delivered in two phases. Phase one will take place during the July school holidays and phase two after the completion of the 2021 winter season.
- It is intended that phase two will have a festival type event involved.
- The U15 development programmes will be an open invite for athletes who are under the age of 15 as of January 1 2021 and will delivered in two phases. Phase one will take place during the July school holidays and phase two after the completion of the 2021 winter season.
- It is intended that phase two of the programme will be split, with athletes who attend a secondary school tournament and those who do not set to receive different offerings.
- More information about these programmes will be made available in the coming months.
Canterbury Hockey will enter the below teams into Hockey New Zealand’s Under 18 tournament in July
- Canterbury U18 A Girls
- Canterbury U18 A Boys
- Canterbury U18 B Girls
- Canterbury U18 B Boys
- Canterbury Cats (Women’s A team)
- Canterbury Cavaliers (Men’s A team)
- Canterbury Barracuda’s (Women’s B team)
- Canterbury Beavers (Men’s B team)
Hockey New Zealand will be holding a U21's national camp some time in April. More information on this will be coming from Hockey New Zealand in the next few months. Canterbury Hockey are also looking at regional opportunities for development in this space and we will advise in the next bulletin.
Canterbury Hockey will host Otago on June 5-7 (Queens Birthday Weekend) at Nga Puna Wai to compete for the Mainland Cup. More information about this will be made available in the coming months.
In our continuing drive to achieve and maintain excellence our representative coaches and managers are crucial to the performances of our teams.
The coach and manager appointment process for our NHL, Senior, and U18 teams' takes place from January to March.
Canterbury Hockey, along with High Performance Sport New Zealand (HPSNZ), want to ensure that players who are U18 and selected into our representative teams do not have an excess workload placed on them over the period of their representative campaign.
2021 Trial date will be coming soon.