9 Aug 2017

Lots of goals in the penultimate round

Lots of goals in the penultimate round

Author: Canterbury Hockey  /  Categories: News  / 
The penultimate round of the Bealey’s Ale House CPL featured an array of goals as well as some matches which went right down to the wire.

The men’s fixture between Marist and Avon was the perfect representation of the sporting cliché ‘a game of two halves’. The Green Machine dominated the match from minute one, with a number of dangerous attacks sparked my Josh Meates. However, it was Avon who scored first against the run of play through Levi Barrow who calmly finished a one-on-one against the Marist keeper. Marist then went on a rampage scoring four goals before the half-time whistle, through Joe Bartholomew, Josh Meates, Theo Beaumont and Sam Grimshaw. To the disbelief of many, it was Avon who came out firing after half time and pegged two goals back, Adrian Smith and Rob Buhler finding the net. Trailing by one, with three minutes to play, it was Elliot Darling who delivered the goods for Avon with a clinical finish. Marist then substituted their goalkeeper with two and half minutes remaining, which played into Avon’s hands. A penalty corner awarded on the stroke of fulltime was flicked into an empty goal by club stalwart Rob Buhler. His demonstration of this seemingly unchallenging skill could see him a late Cavaliers call up. Avon win it 5-4 with the comeback of the season.

The Marist club day was salvaged by their women who defeated Avon 1-0 in gutsy fashion. The match drew a loud crowd. The premier women playing at home on club day combined with the fact that this fixture was essentially a quarter final was a huge drawcard for the fans. Trailing by two competition points the Mermaids needed a win if they wanted to keep their semi-final aspirations alive. Avon had their fair share of chances throughout both halves to take the lead, but it was heroic defence from Marist that kept the scores at a nil-all deadlock for most of the game. Ayla Goodwin-Lister was the hero of the day for Marist and to the delight of the crowd her lone goal would prove the difference between the two sides and give Marist a 1-0 victory and the crucial three competition points.

HSOB/Burnside kept their semi-final aspirations alive with a regulation win over Hornby. The Old Boys lads managed to find the back of the net five times in their seventy minutes. Two coming from the stick of schoolboy Moss ‘Action’ Jackson, who continues to prove that he’s more than happy to score goals in any uniform that isn’t a Canterbury one. Warwick ‘Wazza’ Allen also chipped in with a double, while James Bennett scored the fifth. The Vipers did score one through 18 year old playmaker Will Mace-Cochrane. Suffering their 12th loss of the regular season the Vipers now turn to their round 14 fixture against Southern United where they will be looking to pick up their first three pointer. Old Boys play top of the table Harewood in what will be a season defining match, they require three points from that match to have any chance of making the top four.

In a match full of action on the women’s side of the competition, 12 goals were scored between Hornby and HSOB/Burnside. The Tigers were impressive up-front and managed to net three goals against the second placed team in the competition. These came from Maddie Earle, Lucy Turner and Olivia Allen. Unfortunately for Hornby, Old Boys showed why they have scored more goals than any other team so far this year as they bagged nine of their own. Hannah Hill grabbed herself a hat-trick, while Sian Fremaux scored a double. Other goals came from Biddy Tothill, Cass Engler, Emma Spratt and Rachel McCann. The Burnside Babes have a huge clash against competition leaders Harewood next week, while Hornby have the opportunity to avoid the spoon as they play Southern United.

Marist Park hosted one of the more memorable CPL clashes in recent time as Harewood maintained their position at the top of the table with one round to play after drawing 3-3 with Carlton Redcliffs. Redcliffs had all the running in the first 10 minutes and took the lead through Tom Mouldey with a well taken deflection. The next 25 minutes were all Harewood’s, with Nick Findlay showcasing his incredible talent with a one-time upright reverse to draw level and Lawrence Darling mading sure he used every bit of his large backside to find space at the top of the circle and fire home a reverse to give the Hunters a 2-1 halftime lead. The second half featured end-to-end hockey with both sides having good opportunities. With less than ten minutes to go Trent Summers levelled the scores with a well-executed drag flick that beat Harewood keeper Tom Mallon high to his left. Hungry for the win Redcliffs continued to apply pressure and with three minutes to go scored a third through Delcan Keaney, giving them their second lead of the match and what looked to be a certain victory. However Harewood showed why they are the competition leaders and went straight down the other end on the attack. A ball popped loose in the circle and Ryan Cocking pounced and struck it high into the net, snatching a late equaliser. Redcliffs had a penalty corner on full time and a chance to win the match but it was defended well by Harewood.

The Harewood versus Carlton Redcliffs women’s match followed suit as they played out a 2-2 draw in the late game at Marist Park. Unlike the men’s match immediately before, the draw was definitely a fair result between the first and third placed sides in the women’s competition. Both teams managed to score two goals past the two respective Canterbury Cats goalkeepers. Harewood found the net through Anne McKechnie and Sam Dalzell, while Carton Redcliffs scored through Kate Willis and Bridget Kiddle. Harewood have a tough game next weekend against HSOB/Burnside who have undoubtedly been boosted by the return of Rachel McCann. Carlton Redcliffs will play the Avon Eels in round 14 next week.

The Southern United Stingers have moved up to third place with their 4-1 win over University. Callum Slaven scored from a piece of individual brilliance to give the Stingers the lead while schoolboy Etienne Harrington-Watt had clearly overcome his sickness to not only take the field but also to find the back of the net. The third and fourth goals for the Stingers came from youngster Ben Dowers and veteran Brad Shaw. Despite taking confidence from their mid-week victory over Avon the Students couldn’t match Southern and only managed one goal, James Mortimer finding the net. The loss ended the semi-final aspirations for the students, while the win almost guarantees the Stingers a spot in the top four as they only require three points from their round 14 match against the winless Vipers.


Avon: 5 (Rob Buhler 2, Eliot Darling, Levi Barrow, Adrian Smith) Marist: 4 (Josh Meates, Joe Bartholomew, Theo Beaumont, Sam Grimshaw)
HSOB/Burnside: 5 (Moss Jackson 2, Warwick Allen 2, James Bennett) Hornby: 1 (Will Mace-Cochrane)
Harewood: 3 (Ryan Cocking, Lawrence Darling, Nick Findlay) Carlton Redcliffs: 3 (Declan Keaney, Tom Mouldey, Trent Summers)
Southern United: 4 (Brad Shaw 2, Callum Slaven, Etienne Harrington-Watt) University: 1 (James Mortimer)

Marist: 1 (Ayla Goddwin-Lister) Avon: 0
HSOB/Burnside: 9 (Hannah Hill 3, Sian Fremaux 2, Emma Spratt, Cass Engler, Rachel McCann, Biddy Tothill) Hornby: 3 (Olivia Allan, Lucy Turner, Maddy Earle)
Harewood: 2 (Anne McKechnie, Sam Dalziel) Carlton Redcliffs: 2 (Kate Willis, Bridget Kiddle)
Southern United: BYE

Men’s Top Goal Scorers
Men’s Points Table

Women’s Top Goal Scorers
Women’s Points Table

Number of views (2134)      Comments (0)