10 Oct 2019



Author: Canterbury Hockey  /  Categories: News  / 

Both our U13A girls and boys teams are through to the quarter-finals of Collier Trophy and Hatch Cup today.

The Collier girls headed to Wellington and spent the first day of Collier Trophy twiddling their fingers as they waited out the bye in their pool and prepared themselves for two double headers. So by Tuesday they were raring to go and came out full of purpose in their first match against Bay of Plenty. Captain Kaiyah Ratu got the girls off to a perfect start, scoring from a PC in the 14th minute before Lexi Rouse added to the score just before the halftime break. Chloe McNeill added the third immediately after the break before BOP grabbed a consolation goal halfway through the half to see the game finish 3-1 to Canterbury. Their second game on Tuesday afternoon saw the girls run away with a very comfortable 7-0 victory over Marlborough. Lexi Rouse and Chloe McNeill bagging a couple of goals each, and Kaiyah Ratu, Millie Gallagher and Olivia Rickerby also getting their names on the scorecards. Another big win on Wednesday morning against Eastern Southland featured Indy Phillips grabbing 5 goals, Millie Gallagher three and Meg Edwards chiming in as well for a 9-0 win. The last round robin game in Pool A had the Canterbury girls up against Waikato on Wednesday afternoon. Again the red and blacks were too strong, with Chloe McNeill slotting home two goals in the first half and Meg Edwards and Kaiyah Ratu adding another couple after the break to round out the game with a 4-0 victory and a spot in the quarter-finals.
The girls now play Tauranga this afternoon (Thursday) at 2.15pm for a spot in the semi-finals.

The Hatch boys also had a great start to their campaign in Palmerston North with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Otago on Monday. Oliver Munt opening the scoring in the 10th minute and Raj Ravji, Finn McCormack-Young and Shaun Cooper adding to the tally in the second half. A tight second match against Northland on Tuesday morning saw Munt open the scoring again halfway through the first spell, before Northland grabbed one back just after the halftime break. This fired up the red and blacks and McCormack-Young added his second goal of the tournament to give the boys the advantage with 15mins to go. Despite a fightback from Northland the Canterbury defence held strong and they took the 2-1 win. Wednesday morning featured a must-win match-up against Auckland. Vivek Lallu grabbed the first goal for the red and blacks in the opening spell but Auckland fought back to score the equaliser just after the break. McCormack-Young then scoring the winner yet again to give the boys another 2-1 victory and assuring them a spot in the top 8. Their last game in pool play saw the Canterbury boys up against Horowhenua. It was the lads from the North Island that struck first this time, finding the back of the Canterbury net after just two minutes, but McCormack-Young got them back on even pegging 7 minutes later. Unfortunately Horowhenua grabbed another soon after, and then added a third with three minutes left on the clock to take the win, 1-3.
Despite the loss the Canterbury boys will now play Bay of Plenty in their quarter-final at 5.30pm this evening.


Number of views (536)      Comments (0)