10 Jul 2019



Author: Canterbury Hockey  /  Categories: News  / 

Both the regional teams are through to Pool C with maximum points, while our association teams are both through to the quarter-finals.

The Regional Girls needed a win against Auckland on Tuesday to ensure they went through as top qualifier in their pool. The game was a tight affair right from the start with both teams battling for the top spot and the right to take maximum points through to the next round. The Canterbury girls were first to draw blood when captain Emily Baker grabbed her first goal of the tournament from a penalty corner. Auckland fought hard in the second quarter and were rewarded in the 18th minute to see the teams go into the halftime break on even pegging. As the game see-sawed throughout the second half it was the Canterbury girls who made the most of their opportunities, Brittany Wang finishing off a well worked PC variation in the 39th minute to see the Red and Blacks have a slight advantage going into the last quarter. Ayla Goodwin-Lister sealed the win for the girls when she smashed a PC layoff past the Auckland defense in the 56th minute. Safely through to Pool C and taking maximum points with them sets the girls up with a great chance to bring home the trophy this time round.

Having already secured themselves a spot in the top two of their pool the Regional Boys faced Northland on Tuesday in their last game of Pool B. After a slightly shaky start where they let the baby blues sneak one past their defense the Red and Blacks started to apply the pressure. A good backline drive was finished by Joe Morrison in the 10th minute before a well taken PC drag flick from Duncan Rollinson saw the boys go into the halftime break 2-1 up. The second half saw a much improved performance, a long ball found Lewis Edmond unmarked on the left post and he calmly slotted home before another loose ball in the circle was tapped in by Hayden Cox for his first of the tournament. He added his second 8mins later when he calmly beat the GK from right in front. 5-1 up at the end of the 3rd quarter and the Canterbury lads started to throw the ball around, Lucca Burley grabbing his 5th of the tournament in the 50th minute before grabbing his 6th and the teams’ 7th in the 56th minute. Lewis Edmond rounded off the scoring with his second field goal of the day to see the team comfortably home 8-1, and take a maximum 4 points through to Pool C. 

After a bit of a shaky start to their campaign on Monday, the Association Girls were on fire against a Waikato Development team in their second game on Tuesday afternoon. Jordie Plunkett started the scoring with a well taken field goal in the 4th minute and followed that up 10mins later with her second of the match, from a PC this time. A lapse in defense allowed the Waikato team to sneak one past the Red and Blacks, but order was restored when Molly Leckie found the back of the net just before halftime. A dominant Canterbury team then controlled the remainder of the match, Plunkett grabbing her hattrick in the 46th minute and then adding a 4th in the 61st minute, before Sophie Williamson put the game beyond doubt just before the final whistle to see the girls’ comfortable 6-1 winners. A win against North Harbour in their last pool match yesterday would see the Canterbury girls go through to the quarter-finals as top qualifier in Pool A. In a relatively even-sided match it was Canterbury who grabbed the upper hand when Aleisha Davis found the back of the North Harbour net in the 16th minute. With a slim 1-0 lead at the halftime break the girls pulled out the stops in quarter 3 with Davis grabbing her second goal of the game from a PC and Lucy Roberts adding to the tally, also from a PC. Jordie Plunkett put the game beyond North Harbours reach with her 5th for the tournament, before the Harbour girls grabbed one back with 15mins left on the clock. The win sees them finish top of Pool A and now face Wellington, 2nd in Pool C, in their quarter-final today.

The Association Boys needed a win against North Harbour yesterday in their final match of Pool B to ensure a spot in the quarter-finals. The boys in black and red had the perfect start to the game with Josef Trejbal scoring from a PC in the 3rd minute. Rupert Naughton added to the score with another well-taken PC just before the halftime break. A messy 3rd quarter saw three of the Canterbury lads spending some time in the naughty chair before Liam Adams put them well in control with a field goal in the 66th minute. North Harbour scored a consolation goal to see the match play out as a 3-1 win to the Canterbury boys. Their second place finish in Pool B means they will now play Manawatu-Horowhenua, 1st in Pool D, in their quarter-final match today.


Number of views (519)      Comments (0)